Main content of the website


Westlock County Public Works Department is responsible for the construction and maintenance of infrastructure within the County. Department tasks include road construction, road maintenance, gravelling, ditching, dust control, snow removal, bridges, and signage on County roads. The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of approximately 2100km of rural gravel roads and road maintenance in nine hamlets and eleven subdivisions.

When called upon Public Works provides people and equipment to support Emergency Services.

Westlock County Public Works is responsible for the following services:

Public Works/Transportation Key Contacts

James Plain

Transportation and Utilities General Manager

Tom Stump

Transportation Supervisor

Natalie Rains

Executive Assistant


Email Natalie

Kevin Trueblood

Administrative Assistant


Email Kevin

Transportation crews perform preventative maintenance activities throughout the year to improve the quality and extend the life of County roads, keeping them driveable and safe. Road construction may involve repairing old roads, brush removal, re-grading, patching sections of road, cleaning out ditches and installation of new culverts. During construction, slower moving traffic, rougher road conditions, higher noise levels and possibly road closures or detours may occur. Signage for road construction and bridgework is typically posted prior to a scheduled project. Your safety is important to us, please use care, and caution when driving through construction areas. Obey signs, flag people, and slow down so we can all arrive home safely.

The rural road study summarizes the general nature of the entire road network within Westlock County and provides potential construction activity locations over the next 10 years. All potential construction activities are at the discretion of Westlock County Council and can be amended, delayed, or cancelled at any time at the direction of Westlock County Council. The road study assumes that the current 4 year rotational graveling program along with regular maintenance as established by current County policy will continue.

2018 Rural Road Study


Q:  If I call the County how long before someone calls me back?

A:  Westlock County will try their best to respond to most calls within 48hours however there may be unforeseen circumstances that may require longer response time.

Q:  How often are County roads graded?

A:  Most roads in Westlock County are graded on average 2-3 times per month (2-3 passes) dependent on traffic volumes.

 Q:  How often are County roads gravelled?

A:  Typically gravel roads are resupplied with gravel on a rotating schedule with high traffic volume roads may be graveled more often. Policy 8.16 states Westlock County will attempt to gravel approximately 440km/year. Weather plays a significant role in determining the road maintenance activities and schedule.

 Q:  Do I need a Road Use Agreement? 

A:  Yes, you might.  There are seven (7) different categories under which a hauler may be required to enter into a Road Use Agreement with Westlock County for all hauls exceeding one load. Road Use Agreements apply year round:

  1. Oilfield Industry
  2. Log Haul Industry
  3. Sand & Gravel Industry
  4. Livestock Industry
  5. Fertilizer Industry
  6. Other Industry
  7. Development Commercial/Industrial/Intensive Livestock

Road Use Procedures

Sample Road Use Agreement

Q:  Why is there not a speed limit sign on every road in the County?

A:  The standard posted speed limit throughout Westlock County is 80km unless otherwise posted.

Q:  What are the future plans for paving my road?

A:  There are no immediate plans for paving any roadways within Westlock County as most of the roads were built 50 plus years ago and rebuilding all of the roads would cost millions of dollars and take several decades to accomplish to today’s standards.

Q:  Why can’t I buy gravel from the County?

A:  All gravel and/or materials are purchased for County purposes only.

Q:  Who do I talk to about concerns for the Provincial Highways?

A:  Alberta Transportation North Central Region Office 780-674-4700 or Emcon Services 1-800-390-2242.

Q:  How do I report a burned out streetlight?

A:  Reporting a streetlight outage in a subdivision or a hamlet may be done by contacting Fortis online at; and/or by calling 780-310-9473. Make sure that you have your municipal address available when reporting the outage.

Q:  How do I request a new streetlight for my area?

A:  A letter requesting why you feel that a streetlight is required, should be addressed to Council for consideration or it can be emailed directly to

Q:  Does the County provide snow removal for private driveways?

A:  Yes, Westlock County offers snow removal to rural residents who purchase a snow flag for the cost of $30.00 (+ GST) to have their driveway cleared per request upon filling out a Hold Harmless Agreement. The flag must be visible from the roadway for the operator and will be completed after all main roadways are cleared first. If residents require quicker response time then a private contractor may need to be hired to perform the work at the cost of the resident.

Q:  Is a landowner permitted to landscape the ditch or otherwise run property drainage into the County ditches surrounding their property? .

A:  The purpose of ditches is to maintain the integrity of the road infrastructure and not for private drainage. A landowner cannot landscape property in a way that will affect the neighbouring land(s).

Q:  Do I need a Road Disturbance and/or Crossing Agreement?  

A:  Yes, you might.  There are several different categories under which a company or individual may be required to enter into a Road Disturbance and/or Crossing Agreement with Westlock County for all projects that consist of working in/along/crossing of the right-of-way.  Road Disturbance and/or Crossing Agreements apply year round:

  1. Pipeline/utility road crossings
  2. New/replacement/removal of approaches
  3. Ditch clean outs

Road Disturbance and/or Crossing Agreement Sample Form


When submitting a Customer Service Request Form please ensure that all information and fields are completed and accurate.

Terms and Tips:

Road ConcernsExamples:  Potholes, Washout, Debris on the Roads

CulvertsExamples:  Damaged, Exposed, Plugged

Snowplow Service –  Examples:  Purchase; Snow-flag to grade driveway or Custom Grading

GradingExamples: Frequency - when will I see the grader?

Report Road maintenance of Range Roads or Township Roads,

Report Drifts or Washed-out Range Roads or Township Roads

Incomplete or inaccurate information will lead to delays in servicing your request

If you have a transportation concern please fill out a Customer Service Request Form